Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Window Dressing

The previous owners of our house left us with a lot to renovate. Their home was a peach and yellow countrified nightmare. The only exception was the master bedroom, whose accent wall color one might kindly describe as "Montezuma's Revenge". I could probably fill enough blog entries for a year, describing the various projects we've worked on since we moved into our townhouse in July 2007. Two years later, I'm still redecorating.


My latest fixations are the windows in the living room. We inherited wooden blinds on all of the windows of the house. Now, let me just caveat this by saying that I've seen nice wooden blinds in other people's homes. These are not those blinds. Only Hercules can raise these blinds, so, if you've let them down you'd better like your house dark. Permanently. Furthermore, the cord would make the perfect noose for the many toddlers that run amuck in this house. As a result, we leave our blinds pulled up and the cord tied in various loose knots and resting on the window frames.

I've been looking for years for affordable, clean and simple window treatments. If I won the lottery, I would have bought relaxed roman shades from Smith + Noble long ago. But alas, we're just regular people with real budget constraints. Recently, I've stumbled upon an idea that I think might just work for my wallet.

First, I replace the wooden blinds with bamboo blinds from Pearl River Mart.Then, I'll frame them on both sides with the reliable white Merete curtains from Ikea.
Instant window treatments for less than $70 per window! I'll post results in an upcoming House Tour gadget. Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment